There are two ways of washing your alpaca wool hats: hand washing and machine washing.
When hand washing is advised, we recommend the following method:
- Use cool water (86ºF / 30ºC max.) and a mild soap or a human hair shampoo.
- Never use chlorine bleach. Woolite is not recommended.
- Never use a brush.
- Fill a container with cold water, pour shampoo and carefully rub the alpaca hats with the hands. Soak them in the water with care for two or three minutes. Rinse with cold water.
- To avoid your alpaca hats from losing their shape, press slightly to remove the water. Never wring. Dry flat, reshaping the product and keeping it from direct sunlight.
When machine washing is advised, we recommend the following:
- Use a mild detergent.
- Wash and dry after turning hats inside out.
- Machine wash in cold, lay flat to dry or tumble dry on cold/air setting.
- Do not use the hand wash cycle in a washing machine. Use the wool cycle.
- Wash dark colors separately.
- Wash in a mesh laundry bag to reduce agitation. This will avoid the alpaca hats getting stretched and losing their shape.
- Before storing, make sure that the item is fully dry.
- In some climates moths could cause a problem. If this is your case, place your alpaca wool hats in plastic bags with small scented bags, or place cedar chips in the storage area.
- Sachets using dried lavender are also useful.
- We do not recommend the use of mothballs.